How I Survived Mardi Gras and Lessons for Next Year Posted by: Matt Price | 0 Comments
Here is a short list of things that I did to survive Mardi Gras. Some worked, some didn’t.
1. Limit yourself to one Hurricane and/or Planters Punch per day. Pat O’Briens is the spot for Hurricanes and The Old Absinthe is the spot for Planters Punch. Seriously y’all, these things are tasty as hell—and lethal.
2. Remember, it’s a marathon not a sprint. Day drinking is a requirement during Mardi Gras. When I first got to New Orleans, I broke this all-essential rule. Landed at noon, sprinted, in bed at 10. Mardi Gras FAIL.
3. Eat big lunches and eat them at the restaurants you can’t get dinner reservations for. Check. I am a professional eater so no problem there. When you are on drink 7 or 8 for the day you will thank me for this one.
4. Make sure you are on the correct side of the parade route. These parades are crazy, they are awesome, they last for hours, you will get stuck on one side of the road probably opposite your hotel/car. Planning matters.
5. Go to the French Quarter Elementary School Parade. It’s awesome. Kids from 6 to 14 are walking with their parents and teachers followed by small bands. Most of the kids are scared to throw the beads at you so they will walk up and hand them you. Cute.
6. Pace yourself. Drink a glass of water in between each beer or glass of wine. Seriously. Refer back to lesson number 2.
7. Don’t go to Bourbon St. at night. Go to The Old Absinthe during the day and get a Planters Punch. Leave before dark. It’s crazy and not that awesome. Frenchman St. is awesome. Go there.
8. If you are riding on a float, make sure you have control over your costume! Or else you end up dressing up like Maid Marian’s brother in drag.
9. Laissez le Bon Temps Rouler! Let it all hang out, take it all in, leave it all on the field. Mardi Gras in New Orleans is unlike anything else in the US. If you havent been, go. It’s worth it, but remember to bring this handy survival guide!
- Oversized Plaid Blanket Scarves $ 23.00
- Ladies Soft Pastel Striped Canvas Tote Bag $ 59.00
- Front Pocket Double Sleeve American Leather Wallet $ 30.00
- Authentic Reclaimed Napa Valley Wine Barrel Dog Feeder $ 150.00
- "Southerner" Engraved Distressed Wood Cookbook Stand $ 69.00
- Elegant Cross & Heart Faith Necklace $ 39.00
- Waxed Canvas Shoulder Bag w/ Leather Strap $ 49.00