How to Drink Bourbon Like Your Favorite Author Posted by: Drew Ford | 0 Comments
If you are ever lucky enough to find yourself in Faulkner’s hometown of Oxford, Mississippi don’t be surprised if you run into literary fans taking swigs of libations and leaving the bottles at this author’s grave. Faulkner, forever the southern gentleman, loved a cocktail. His favorite? The always classy Mint Julep. To make a proper, Faulkner-worthy mint julep you need:
- 2 oz choice bourbon
- 1/2 oz simple syrup (one part water, one part sugar)
- 9 sprigs of mint
- Crushed ice
Add the bourbon, half the mint and simple syrup to to a copper julep cup. Use a spoon or muddler to gently press the ingredients and fill the cup with crushed ice. Stir until the ice begins to float, and top off with a mound of more crushed ice and remaining sprigs of min to garnish.
Although not a child of the South (we’ll forgive her this time), Dorothy Parker was one of the founding members of the Algonquin Round Table, the famed literary group in New York City. The Algonquin Hotel, which can still be visited today, has a bar that just invites one to sit a while, enjoy a glass of something strong, and write down their thoughts. Even today one can almost see Parker enjoying her favorite Whiskey Sour.
- .75 oz Fresh lemon juice
- .75 oz Simple syrup (one part water, one part sugar)
- 1.5 oz choice Bourbon
- 1 Cherry and/or lemon wedge
Add all the ingredients to a shaker and fill with ice. Shake, and strain into a rocks glass filled with fresh ice. Garnish with a cherry and/or lemon wedge if desired.
Hunter S. Thompson
A native son of Kentucky, it should come as little surprise that Thompson was a lover of bourbon. A hell raiser for life— from books on the Hell’s Angels to having his ashes shot from a cannon upon his death— Thompson’s favorite bottle was Wild Turkey, served straight up.
By: Drew Ford
Drew was born in Arkansas, but has been lucky to call several southern states home. She’s currently working on Masters in Southern Studies from the University of Mississippi. She loves vinyl records, long road trips, and acquiring useless trivia.
- Photos from flickr.com
- Whiskey Lovers Engraved Personalized Whiskey Glasses $ 19.00
- Authentic Large (6' x 7') Cowhide Rug $ 198.00
- Reclaimed Barrel Top Wooden Lazy Susan $ 139.00
- Authentic Brown Brindle Cowhide Leather Overnight Duffle Bag $ 229.00
- Handmade Bourbon Barrel Wood Serving Tray With Rustic Iron Handles $ 149.00
- Silver Cross & Gold Cross Heart Christian Necklaces $ 39.00
- Waxed Canvas Shoulder Bag w/ Leather Strap $ 49.00