How to Drink Like William Faulkner Posted by: Aaron Stearns | 0 Comments
Famed son of the South, William Faulkner once noted “Civilization begins with distillation.” If you are ever lucky enough to find yourself in Faulkner’s hometown of Oxford, Mississippi don’t be surprised if you run into literary fans taking of whiskey or bourbon and leaving the bottles at this author’s grave. At his home, Rowan Oak, one will even find whiskey bottles on display with other Faulkner relics. A tour of Rowan Oak makes it possible for one to just imagine the writer, enjoying his favorite cocktail, the Mint Julep, while staring out at the woods which surround his home, pondering his next work. Cheers to you, Mr. Faulkner!
To make a proper, Faulkner-worthy mint julep you need:
2 oz choice bourbon
1/2 oz simple syrup (one part water, one part sugar)
9 sprigs of mint
Add the bourbon, half the mint and simple syrup to to a copper julep cup. Use a spoon or muddler to gently press the ingredients and fill the cup with crushed ice. Stir until the ice begins to float, and top off with a mound of more crushed ice and remaining sprigs of min to garnish.
Shopping Boubon & Boots Online Gift Store:
Our Southern Lifestyle Brand is your online gift store for made in the south personalized gifts, gift ideas for men, and gift ideas for women. Our southern gifts inventory of unique gifts and unusual gifts ensure a rare & unique selection of personal gifts sure to delight you and your recipient. Visit our Southern Gifts store at www.bourbonandboots.com
- Whiskey Lovers Engraved Personalized Whiskey Glasses $ 18.00
- Authentic Large (6' x 7') Cowhide Rug $ 198.00
- Reclaimed Barrel Top Wooden Lazy Susan $ 139.00
- Authentic Brown Brindle Cowhide Leather Overnight Duffle Bag $ 229.00
- Handmade Bourbon Barrel Wood Serving Tray With Rustic Iron Handles $ 119.00
- Silver Cross & Gold Cross Heart Christian Necklaces $ 39.00
- Waxed Canvas Shoulder Bag w/ Leather Strap $ 49.00