Modern Southern Writers Posted by: Aaron Stearns | 1 Comment
Ron Rash’s novels, short stories, and poetry are mostly set in the rural Appalachian South, where his family has been since the 1700’s. A master of lyrical writing and tightly-woven storytelling, Rash explores religion, nature, and the human condition, among other things. The Cove is a good place to start.
Bastard Out of Carolina, Dorothy Allison’s first semi-autobiographical novel that was banned from libraries and classrooms yet revered by fans and critics, announced her place in the Southern Literary Tradition. Fourteen years after publication, it’s still creating waves.
Who are some of your favorite contemporary Southern writers?
By Paula Martin
Paula Martin was born and raised in Arkansas and received her MFA in Creative Writing at the University of New Orleans. She is a writer, teacher, mom, barefoot trail runner, martial artist, and free-thinker always packed and ready for the next adventure.
- Cowhide Crossbody Bag, Black & White with Deep Red Leather - Medium $ 89.00
- Authentic Oversized Cowhide Rug $ 187.00
- Reclaimed Barrel Top Wooden Lazy Susan $ 119.00
- Authentic Brown Brindle Cowhide Leather Overnight Duffle Bag $ 229.00
- "Southerner" Engraved Distressed Wood Cookbook Stand $ 89.00
- Silver Cross & Gold Cross Heart Christian Necklaces $ 39.00
- Waxed Canvas Shoulder Bag w/ Leather Strap $ 49.00