My Old Kentucky Hair Posted by: Dan | 0 Comments
We knew the ’80s and ’90s reveled in big hair. And now that wearing hats has become a “thing” at the Kentucky Derby, back then, wearing big hair was also a thing as evidenced by these candid street photos of Derby revelers the week before the big event.
The photographer is Richard Bram, and he — and this story on Slate.com — shines a camera-mounted flash of a light on these revelers and their teased, gelled and super-sized hair. Men, too.
During the early ’90s, this meant hairstyles were about as big as the hats the women would wear to Churchill Downs. Bram documented enough mousse, gel, and hairsprayed looks to edit a series he appropriately titled “Big Hair & True Love” that also includes images from the Kentucky State Fair and the Strassenfest, a German heritage festival.
Predominantly a street photographer, Bram said he sees a lot of humor in the world and hopes his images convey that. “We need more laughter,” he wrote via email. “Street photography is one genre where one is allowed to show the humor of life … (it) exists to remind us of the small joys of life, that the world can be beautiful, funny, joyful, and yes, sad, often all at the same time.”
We realize fashion is cyclical, but here’s hoping we never go back to that old Kentucky hair.
In love with Kentucky? Browse all of our hand-picked products from the state.
- Oversized Plaid Blanket Scarves $ 23.00
- Ladies Soft Pastel Striped Canvas Tote Bag $ 59.00
- Front Pocket Double Sleeve American Leather Wallet $ 30.00
- Authentic Reclaimed Napa Valley Wine Barrel Dog Feeder $ 150.00
- "Southerner" Engraved Distressed Wood Cookbook Stand $ 69.00
- Elegant Cross & Heart Faith Necklace $ 39.00
- Waxed Canvas Shoulder Bag w/ Leather Strap $ 49.00