Small Southern Towns Doing Big Things Posted by: Dan | 0 Comments
A few years ago, those experts over at Garden and Gun have compiled a list of the most creative small towns in the South. They’ve chosen 5 winning towns, but there’s also a runner-up in each category, which everyone knows is a sneaky way to not really pick a definitive winner.
We forgive you, Garden and Gun, and we think your list is still pretty relevant.
They’ve divided the towns into categories like “Best Performing Arts Town,” “Best Music Town” and “Best Literary Town.” They had the good sense to find a town in Louisiana — Breaux Bridge — and give it the Best Food Town designation. (Runner up: Highlands, N.C. But have you tried eating in Little Rock lately? No, it’s no Louisiana, but, man, that town has got it gastronomically going on.)
But we digress. The towns in the list range from Hillsborough, N.C. to Wimberley, Texas, and everything in between. Speaking of Wimberley, which won for Best Music Town, the magazine tracked down resident and musician Ray Wylie Hubbard about why he chooses to stay in the small Texas town.
“As I get older, I don’t do discomfort very well, and Wimberley is very comfortable—spiritually, physically, mentally, and emotionally,” says its highest-profile resident musician, singer-songwriter Ray Wylie Hubbard, aka the Wylie Llama. “People here respect everyone else’s privacy and their weirdness.”
Check out the full list and see if a town in your state made the cut. Or if they’ve totally missed the mark with this one.
- Cowhide Crossbody Bag, Black & White with Deep Red Leather - Medium $ 89.00
- Cowhide Rugs - Real Authentic Oversized Genuine Leather Hide $ 220.00
- Reclaimed Bourbon Barrel Top Lazy Susan $ 109.00
- Authentic Brown Brindle Cowhide Leather Overnight Duffle Bag $ 229.00
- "Southerner" Engraved Distressed Wood Cookbook Stand $ 89.00
- Elegant Cross & Heart Faith Necklace $ 39.00
- Waxed Canvas Shoulder Bag w/ Leather Strap $ 49.00