Strong Southern Women We Love Right Now Posted by: Aaron Stearns | 0 Comments
Singer/Songwriter and Fiddler Amanda Shires is Texas born and raised and a force to be reckoned with. Not one to let listeners escape their daily lives, instead through her songs she challenges us to look closely, dig deeply, and love fiercely. Vivian Howard
From rural North Carolina, Chef Vivian Howard grew up on a hog and tobacco farm. After college and living in New York, she returned to her roots to open her award-winning restaurant (Chef and the Farmer). The mother of twins, she shows us that being true to who we are is the greatest strength of all.
2016 Pole Vaulting Olympiad Alexis “Lexi” Weeks is from Cabot, Arkansas. Just nineteen years old, Lexi finished her freshman year at the University of Arkansas with three clearances over 15 feet and undefeated. Lexi shows the world with grace and strength what it looks like to glide high over obstacles.
From Mississippi, author Jesmyn Ward has been called “fearless and toughly lyrical” by The Library Journal. Her award-winning novels are drawn from her own experiences and life, urging us to, with a strong will and a soft heart, learn from our own lives and those of the ones we love. Who are some other Strong Southern Women you love right now? Let us know in the comments.
By Paula Martin
Paula Martin was born and raised in Arkansas and received her MFA in Creative Writing at the University of New Orleans. She is a writer, teacher, mom, barefoot trail runner, martial artist, and free-thinker always packed and ready for the next adventure.
- Cowhide Crossbody Bag, Black & White with Deep Red Leather - Medium $ 89.00
- Authentic Oversized Cowhide Rug $ 187.00
- Reclaimed Barrel Top Wooden Lazy Susan $ 119.00
- Authentic Brown Brindle Cowhide Leather Overnight Duffle Bag $ 229.00
- "Southerner" Engraved Distressed Wood Cookbook Stand $ 89.00
- Silver Cross & Gold Cross Heart Christian Necklaces $ 39.00
- Waxed Canvas Shoulder Bag w/ Leather Strap $ 49.00