The First Time I Tried Bourbon Posted by: Aaron Stearns | 0 Comments
The First Time I Tried Bourbon
My drinking life started out like most teenage girls in my town: Boone’s Farm Strawberry Hill Wine, Bacardi Breezers, and the occasional Zima. By college I graduated to Cosmos and the occasional Tanqueray and Tonic. If a shot was fruity, I would sip it, but no straight liquor. It just wasn’t my thing.
Everything changed when I started dating a bourbon-drinking Sigma Chi. We were on our way to a concert, and we didn’t have time to stop by the liquor store. The only thing he had in his room was a bottle of Knob Creek. I insisted that he mix mine with Coke, and after grumbling under his breath that’s what he did.
I only took one sip and put it down. There was no way I was going to drink the whole thing.
It took some convincing, but I finally agreed to try the bourbon just on the rocks. I let it sit for a moment, the ice slowly melting, and then brought it up to my lips. It was smooth and silky, not at all what I had expected. A smile slowly spread across his face.
The bourbon-drinking Sigma Chi and I only lasted one semester. But Knob Creek and I have had a long, wonderful relationship. And I expect it will continue for many more years to come.
By Paula Martin
Paula Martin was born and raised in Arkansas and received her MFA in Creative Writing at the University of New Orleans. She is a writer, teacher, mom, barefoot trail runner, martial artist, and free-thinker always packed and ready for the next adventure.
- Cowhide Crossbody Bag, Black & White with Deep Red Leather - Medium $ 89.00
- Cowhide Rugs - Real Authentic Oversized Genuine Leather Hide $ 189.00
- Reclaimed Bourbon Barrel Top Lazy Susan $ 109.00
- Authentic Brown Brindle Cowhide Leather Overnight Duffle Bag $ 229.00
- "Southerner" Engraved Distressed Wood Cookbook Stand $ 89.00
- Elegant Cross & Heart Faith Necklace $ 39.00
- Waxed Canvas Shoulder Bag w/ Leather Strap $ 49.00