The Story of Cooter Brown Posted by: Aaron Stearns | 1 Comment
Ever heard the Southern saying, “Drunk as Cooter Brown”? Always up for a good story, we decided to find out who old Cooter was (he had to be upwards of 150 years old, afterall), and why, exactly he was drunk.As a graduate student in New Orleans in the 90’s, we spent many a night at Cooter Brown’s Tavern uptown on Carrolton. So, we figured we would go straight to the source. A phone call later, we had the answer.
Did it work? Legend has it it did. Not to say that his liver held up; we don’t know how old Cooter died. But this much is for sure: he died without having to fight his kin. And to us, that is victory in and of itself.
By Paula Martin
Paula Martin was born and raised in Arkansas and received her MFA in Creative Writing at the University of New Orleans. She is a writer, teacher, mom, barefoot trail runner, martial artist, and free-thinker always packed and ready for the next adventure.
Story and image source: http://porterbriggs.com/cooter-brown/
- Oversized Plaid Blanket Scarves $ 23.00
- Ladies Soft Pastel Striped Canvas Tote Bag $ 59.00
- Front Pocket Double Sleeve American Leather Wallet $ 30.00
- Authentic Reclaimed Napa Valley Wine Barrel Dog Feeder $ 150.00
- "Southerner" Engraved Distressed Wood Cookbook Stand $ 69.00
- Elegant Cross & Heart Faith Necklace $ 39.00
- Waxed Canvas Shoulder Bag w/ Leather Strap $ 49.00