Things I've Learned Growing Up in the South Posted by: Aaron Stearns | 77 Comments
We loved growing up in the south. "Bless your Heart", "Sweet Tea", Football, Family, & Church. A dear friend who is now a Southern Ex-patriate reflected on her sweet time of southern upbringing and shared with us her list of "Things I Learned Growing Up in the South." We agree with our dear friend. Enjoy, comment, and share upon her reflections.
- Sunday morning church is not optional.
- Tailgating is just as important as the game itself.
- If I didn't hear "Bless Your Heart" at least 5 times a week, something was amiss
- There is no such thing as a “mild summer.”
- An inch of ice is ten times worse than six inches of snow.
- Unsweet tea is not a valid choice.
- Mosquitos are a verifiable enemy.
- When the tornado sirens sound, it just got real.
- Pearls go with absolutely everything.
- They started us young with Friday Night Lights, then we needed rehab when our College Team team lost on a Saturday.
- Salad is not supper.
- Grilled catfish is not a thing.
- Going Greek is a family affair.
- As unpleasant an experience as it is, you are required to cut your own switch.
- In some states the first day of Deer Season is considered a national holiday.
- Expression of your manners; "thank you", "yes sir", "yes ma'm" are a reflection of your parents & upbringing.
- There is no such thing as "grilled" catfish.
- Everyone had a crazy relative who dabbled with a whiskey still.
- Everything, and we mean everything is monogrammed.
- Regardless of who dies or how well you knew them, you take food to their house.
- "Over Yonder" is actually a place.
- Every respectable Southern Woman has a secret pimento cheese recipe
- If you can add some bacon to Beans and Cornbread it's considered a gourmet meal.
- You actually drive by and even sometimes visit cemeteries.
- Always carry and extra stick of lipstick in each purse
- Camo is a fashion choice.
- Every kitchen has a wooden lazy susan
What are some of the things you learned growing up in the South? Let us know in the comments.
Shopping Boubon & Boots Online Gift Store:
Our Southern Lifestyle Brand is your online gift store for made in the south personalized gifts, gift ideas for men, and gift ideas for women. Our southern gifts inventory of unique gifts and unusual gifts ensure a rare & unique selection of personal gifts sure to delight you and your recipient. Visit our Southern Gifts store at www.bourbonandboots.com
- Whiskey Lovers Engraved Personalized Whiskey Glasses $ 42.00
- Authentic Large (6' x 7') Cowhide Rug $ 198.00
- Reclaimed Barrel Top Wooden Lazy Susan $ 139.00
- Authentic Brown Brindle Cowhide Leather Overnight Duffle Bag $ 229.00
- Handmade Bourbon Barrel Wood Serving Tray With Rustic Iron Handles $ 109.00
- Silver Cross & Gold Cross Heart Christian Necklaces $ 39.00
- Waxed Canvas Shoulder Bag w/ Leather Strap $ 49.00