Top 10 Signs You Might Be From Georgia Posted by: Aaron Stearns | 0 Comments
Everybody’s got to be from somewhere. My people come from outlaws Oglethorpe saved from hanging. That don’t mean I ain’t proud. Like the DBT (Drive By Truckers) say, “proud of the glory, stare down the shame/ Duality of the southern things.” Or like some old schoolteacher once said, “tread lightly, y’all.”
Here’s 10(ish) signs you might be from Georgia.
1.If you prefer your peanuts boiled and your oysters steamed. And your mama made potato salad with mustard.
2. If every time you see Ray McKinnon in a movie you start worrying about the dog.
3. If you’ve seen R.E.M. at the 40 Watt more than once.
4. If you don’t never get confused about the usage of the technical terms “dinner” and “supper.” And about the only time you call it “lunch” is when it consists of a pack of Planters Salted Peanuts down the throat of an ice-cold RC Cola.
5. If you can tell whether someone is from north or south of Atlanta within three syllables. (It might take a full sentence to say whether they’re from east or west of there. Oh, and that’s pronounced “add-LANNA.”)
6. If you still wonder about the circumstances of Ty Cobb’s father’s death and think it was a shame about Conrad Aiken’s momma and daddy. And you feel really bad about Leo Frank.
7. If you think you can just about find it in your heart to forgive both Jane Fonda and Paula Deen. But not Bobby Brown.
8. If you’ve played Pine Oaks, Healy Point, Black Creek and The Frog and know what “EDIMGIAFAD” stands for.
9. If you remember Bobby Shane before he was a heel.
10. If you remember when the Savannah Redlegs tried to pass Curt Flood off as Cuban or when Ted Turner tried to get Brett Butler to change his name. Or if you honestly believe Dale Murphy belongs in the Hall of Fame and Hank Aaron will always be your home run king.
In love with Georgia? See all of our hand-picked products from the state.
Dale Smith is a writer, musician and dog owner who lives in the South.