What’s in a name: Popular Southern Pet Names Posted by: Hedi Hemenway | 14 Comments
What’s in a pet’s name? Well, nothing less than his or her identity, it turns out. Whether it’s FiFi or Killer, Moose or Tiny, the name we give our pet rests in our hands and their future, so it’s not to be taken lightly. So, with that in mind, here are some of our favorite Southern Pet Names, broken into categories, that we’ve used or encountered over the years.
Flowers: Magnolia, Daisy, Azalea
Animals: Bear, Moose, Cricket
Food: Grits, Biscuit, Honey
People: Colonel, Hank, Elvis
Places: Dallas, Georgia, Memphis
Colors: Red, Blue, Copper
What are some of your favorite Southern pet names?
By Paula Martin
Paula Martin was born and raised in Arkansas and received her MFA in Creative Writing at the University of New Orleans. She is a writer, teacher, mom, barefoot trail runner, martial artist, and free-thinker always packed and ready for the next adventure.
- Cowhide Crossbody Bag, Black & White with Deep Red Leather - Medium $ 89.00
- Cowhide Rugs - Real Authentic Oversized Genuine Leather Hide $ 189.00
- Reclaimed Bourbon Barrel Top Lazy Susan $ 109.00
- Authentic Brown Brindle Cowhide Leather Overnight Duffle Bag $ 229.00
- "Southerner" Engraved Distressed Wood Cookbook Stand $ 89.00
- Elegant Cross & Heart Faith Necklace $ 39.00
- Waxed Canvas Shoulder Bag w/ Leather Strap $ 49.00