Your Losing NFL Team is Making You Fat Posted by: Dan | 0 Comments
Remove football from cupcake. Insert face. As it turns out, all of those years of watching your team lose game after game is doing your waistline no favors, science says.
Study results and a story on NPR’s The Salt finds NFL fans tend to consume more high-fat foods following a loss. Fans of winning teams tended to eat lighter, healthier meals.
A study that links sports outcomes with the eating behavior of fans finds that backers of NFL teams eat more food and fattier food the day after a loss. Backers of winning teams, by contrast, eat lighter food, and in moderation. After a defeat, the researchers found that saturated fat consumption went up by 16 percent, while after a victory it decreased by 9 percent. “After a victory, people eat better,” says Pierre Chandon, a professor of marketing at the business school INSEAD in France. “After a defeat, people eat a lot worse.”
It wasn’t just about eating saturated fats, either. Overall calorie consumption went up by 10 percent after losses, and down by 5 percent after wins.
Why is this happening? You’re probably thinking , “No, duh” right about now because we’d imagine it’s the same reason someone would turn to a pint of ice cream when her date is a no-show, but the story explains it like this, “When your ego is shattered you really think about instant gratification – you want to feel better now.”
So, watch out for your broken egos this weekend. If your team loses, try putting down the pizza and picking up the pineapple instead. Or not. Who are we to tell you how to live?
- Cowhide Crossbody Bag, Black & White with Deep Red Leather - Medium $ 89.00
- Cowhide Rugs - Real Authentic Oversized Genuine Leather Hide $ 220.00
- Reclaimed Bourbon Barrel Top Lazy Susan $ 109.00
- Authentic Brown Brindle Cowhide Leather Overnight Duffle Bag $ 229.00
- "Southerner" Engraved Distressed Wood Cookbook Stand $ 89.00
- Elegant Cross & Heart Faith Necklace $ 39.00
- Waxed Canvas Shoulder Bag w/ Leather Strap $ 49.00