Ever found yourself with a deck of UNO cards, some friends, and an itch to spice things up? Welcome to the world of Drunk UNO – a party game variation that’s all about strategy, laughter, and sips.
This guide provides you with the rules, strategies, and tips on how to play Drunk UNO while ensuring everyone has fun safely. Ready for your next night out or fun gathering at home? Let’s dive in!
Drunk UNO is a variation of the classic card game that adds drinking rules and penalties to make it more exciting.
To play Drunk UNO, you’ll need a deck of UNO cards, drinks for the penalties, and friends willing to participate.
The standard UNO rules still apply in Drunk UNO but with additional drinking rules such as taking sips for drawing cards or receiving penalty cards.
Safety precautions should be taken when playing Drunk UNO, including knowing your limits, staying hydrated with water, and not drinking and driving.
Table of Contents
Basics Of Classic Uno
UNO is your ultimate ticket to a raucous, fun-filled evening. A classic deck of cards, yet bursting with potential for laughter and discord among friends – in the best possible way, of course! With roots dating back to 1971, UNO has stood the test of time as one of the most cherished card games around.
In its standard form, it’s straightforward: you must discard all your cards before anyone else. Sounds simple enough? Here’s where strategy comes into play. The game takes an intriguing twist when action cards like Skip, Reverse, and Draw Two come onto the scene.
These handy dandies can change gameplay direction or even make opponents draw extra cards from the pile as a penalty – adding that layer of frenzy we’ve grown to love about UNO! The Wild Card and Wild Draw Four Card are those specialty cards that give you an edge by allowing color changes at will or making someone draw four more curse-laden cards, respectively.
It’s not just about matching color or matching numbers – every round offers a new chance for redemption (or defeat!).
Adapting Uno Into A Drinking Game
To adapt Uno into a drinking game, you’ll need a few necessary items and set up the game accordingly.
To start this drinking spin-off of the beloved classic game, you’ll need a few simple items. The first thing on your checklist should be a UNO card deck, which will form the core of the gameplay. Along with the cards, make sure to have your favorite drink readily available – whether that’s Shiner Prickly Pear beer or just some plain old water for those who prefer not to imbibe. Since “Drunk UNO” involves penalties in the form of drinks being consumed for every Draw Two or Wild Draw Four Card that comes into play, it’s crucial to have these beverages at hand. Lastly, gather up some good company in the form of friends willing to partake in this exciting variation of UNO. Whether you’re pairing this game with watching Last Week Tonight with John Oliver or in anticipation of the World Series 2022 Astros Vs Phillies match, these necessary items will make your game night an absolute blast.
Setting The Game Up
Kick-starting your Drunk UNO drinking card game demands a few necessary items and steps. First off, you’re going to need an UNO deck, encompassing action cards such as Skip, Reverse, Draw Two, Wild Card, and the feared Wild Draw Four Card. Next in line is gathering a group of friends who are ready for some laughter and fun combined with sips of alcohol.
- Shuffle the classic UNO card deck. Ensure every card from Color Cards to Wild Pickup Four is mixed properly.
- Deal seven cards to each player participating in the game.
- Place the remaining cards face down in the center, creating a draw pile.
- Flip over the topmost card from this pile and set it next to it, paving the way for the discard pile.
- Decide on your drink choice for penalties – Shiner Prickly Pear beer can be an interesting pick.
- Lastly, establish your gameplay direction – clockwise or anti-clockwise – and let the game roll.
Rules Of Drunk Uno
In Drunk UNO, the standard UNO rules still apply, but with some additional drinking, rules to make the game more exciting.
Standard Uno Rules
Uno is a classic card game that’s easy to learn and fun to play. The standard rules of Uno are straightforward: each player starts with a hand of cards, and the objective is to be the first one to get rid of all your cards.
To do this, players take turns matching either the color or number on the top card of the discard pile. If you can’t play a card, you must draw from the deck until you find one that matches or choose to pass.
Special action cards like “draw 2,” “reverse,” and “skip” add twists to the gameplay. When you have one card left, don’t forget to shout, “Uno!” If someone catches you without saying it, there’s a penalty involved – they’ll make you pick up four extra cards! And at the end of each round, players tally up points based on their remaining cards, with losing players having to take sips for every card still in their hand.
Additional Drinking Rules
To make Drunk UNO even more exciting, you can add some additional drinking rules to the game. Here are some ideas to spice up your next game night:
- Drink when you have to draw cards: Every time you have to draw cards from the deck, take a sip of your drink. This will keep the drinks flowing and add a fun challenge to the game.
- Drink for penalty cards: If you receive penalty cards from other players, take a drink for each one. This can be a great way to encourage strategic play and punish those who try to stack you with extra cards.
- Miss a turn, take a drink: When you’re forced to skip your turn due to a “Skip” card or any other action card, take a sip of your drink as a penalty.
- Wild card shots: Whenever someone plays a wild card (either regular or Wild Draw Four), everyone at the table must take a shot or finish their drink. This rule adds an element of surprise and can quickly ramp up the excitement.
- Penalty for forgetting to say “UNO”: If someone forgets to say “UNO” when they have only one card left in their hand, they will have to take two sips as a penalty.
How To Play Drunk Uno
To play Drunk Uno, start by dealing 7 cards to each player and placing the remaining deck in the center as the draw pile. The first player starts by discarding a card that matches either the color or number of the top card on the discard pile.
If they don’t have a playable card, they must draw from the deck and take a drink for each new card drawn. Special action cards like “draw 2” or “skip” also come with drinking penalties. Remember to say “UNO” when you have one card left, or you’ll have to drink and draw more cards.
The game continues until one player gets rid of all their cards while others tally up their points and take sips accordingly.
Let’s dive into the step-by-step guide on how to play Drunk Uno:
- Gather your friends and get a deck of Uno cards ready.
- Decide on the drinking rules before starting the game. You can either follow standard drinking rules or create your own, depending on how wild you want the game to be.
- Shuffle the Uno cards and deal seven cards to each player. Make sure everyone has their drink of choice ready.
- Place the remaining cards face down in a draw pile and turn over the top card to start the discard pile.
- The player to the left of the dealer goes first, and gameplay continues clockwise.
- Each player must match either the number, color, or symbol of the card in the discard pile with one of their own cards.
- If a player cannot make a match, they must draw a card from the draw pile and take a sip as a penalty for being unable to play.
- Special action cards such as Skip, Reverse, Draw Two, and Wild Cards have additional drinking penalties associated with them (decide these penalties beforehand).
- When a Wild Card is played, the player who played it gets to choose a new color for play to continue.
- The game continues until one player has no more cards left in their hand.
- Once someone goes out, all other players tally up their points by adding up the values of their remaining cards (refer to Uno rules for card values).
- The winner gets bragging rights and may receive some additional rewards if desired.
Tips For Playing Drunk Uno
To enhance your experience playing Drunk UNO, make sure to drink responsibly and stay hydrated by also drinking plenty of water. Get creative and add additional rules or challenges to the game to make it more exciting.
Don’t forget to have fun and embrace the social aspect of the game by interacting with your friends throughout the gameplay.
Playing the UNO drinking game can be a fun and exciting way to enjoy a night with friends. However, it’s important to keep safety in mind to ensure everyone has a good time. Here are some safety precautions to consider:
- Know your limits: Make sure you’re aware of how much alcohol you can handle and drink responsibly. Pace yourself throughout the game and avoid excessive drinking.
- Drink plenty of water: It’s essential to stay hydrated while playing the UNO drinking game. Alternate alcoholic beverages with glasses of water to help prevent dehydration.
- Don’t drive: Never drink and drive. If you’re planning on consuming alcohol while playing the UNO drinking game, make arrangements for a designated driver or use alternative transportation options like ridesharing services or public transportation.
- Play in a safe environment: Choose a location that is free from hazards and provides enough space for everyone to move around comfortably. Remove any obstacles that could cause accidents, such as loose items or furniture.
- Be mindful of allergies: Before starting the game, ask if anyone has any food or drink allergies to ensure everyone’s safety.
- Watch out for signs of intoxication: Pay attention to yourself and others playing the game for signs of intoxication, such as slurred speech, impaired coordination, or changes in behavior. If someone appears too intoxicated, encourage them to stop drinking and seek medical attention if necessary.
- Take breaks if needed: If anyone feels overwhelmed or needs a break from drinking during the game, encourage them to step back and take some time out until they feel ready to continue.
How To Make The Game More Fun
To make the game even more fun, you can add some creative twists and challenges to your Drunk UNO sessions. For example, you could introduce a “truth or dare” element, where players have to perform a silly task or answer a personal question if they lose a round.
Another idea is to incorporate mini-games within the game itself, such as having players do jumping jacks or take shots when certain action cards are played. You can also mix things up by playing themed rounds, like dressing up in costumes or incorporating drinking props related to your favorite TV shows or movies.
The possibilities are endless, so let your imagination run wild and enjoy this ultimate combination of classic Uno and drinking games!
Other Drinking Games Using Uno Cards
Uno cards can be used to play a variety of other fun and exciting drinking games, such as Card Toss, Memory Game, and Card Houses.
One fun drinking game that can be played using UNO cards is Card Toss. This game adds an extra challenge to the traditional card-throwing game. Here’s how it works:
- Divide the players into two teams.
- Each team stands on opposite sides of a table or any designated playing area.
- Place a plastic cup or any other suitable target at the center of the table.
- Players take turns throwing their UNO cards, aiming to land them inside the cup.
- The team that successfully lands the most cards in the cup wins the round.
- The losing team must take a sip of their drink as a penalty for each card they fail to land in the cup.
One fun variation of Uno that you can play while getting a little tipsy is the Memory Game. It adds an extra challenge to the regular gameplay and keeps everyone on their toes. Here’s how it works:
- When a player plays a regular card (not an action card) from their hand, they must also try to remember the number or color of the previous card played.
- If they successfully remember and say the correct number or color before the next player takes their turn, they get to skip taking a drink as a penalty.
- However, if they forget or say the wrong number/color, they have to take two sips instead of just one.
Card houses are a fun way to challenge your skills and creativity while playing Drunk UNO. Here’s how you can build impressive card houses using Uno cards:
- Start with a solid foundation by picking a sturdy surface to build your card house, such as a table or the floor.
- Lay down the first layer of cards in a square or rectangular shape, overlapping them slightly to create stability.
- Add another layer on top, but this time rotate the cards 90 degrees so that they crisscross with the cards below.
- Continue building layers in this alternating pattern, gradually decreasing the size of each layer as you go up.
- Use Uno action cards strategically to add extra support and stability to your card house. For example, place Skip or Reverse cards at key points to reinforce the structure.
- Take it up a notch by incorporating wild cards into your design. These versatile cards can be used as pillars or columns to create taller and more intricate card houses.
- Experiment with different shapes and designs, such as arches or towers, to make your card house stand out even more.
- Don’t forget to take sips of your drink for each new card you add to the structure! It adds an extra layer of challenge and fun to the game.
Frequently Asked Questions About Drunk Uno
What are the rules of Drunk UNO?
The rules of Drunk UNO are similar to regular UNO, with the added twist of incorporating drinking. Players take turns playing cards that match either the number or color of the top card in the discard pile. If a player cannot play a card, they must take a drink and draw a card from the deck. Special action cards, such as Skip, Reverse, and Draw Two, still apply and may require additional drinks or actions.
How can I incorporate drinking into Drunk UNO?
Drinking is incorporated into Drunk UNO by assigning specific actions for certain cards. For example, players may have to take sips when drawing cards or when another player plays a Wild card. The exact drinking rules can be customized based on personal preferences and agreed upon before starting the game.
Are there any strategies for playing Drunk UNO?
While much of Drunk UNO relies on luck with card draws, there are a few strategies that can enhance your chances of winning while having fun. Pay attention to what others are discarding and try to anticipate their next move. Hold onto special action cards like Skip or Reverse to disrupt opponents’ turns strategically. It’s also crucial to pace yourself with drinking so you can fully enjoy the game without going overboard.
Is it important to establish clear boundaries and drink responsibly while playing Drunk UNO?
Yes, it is essential to establish clear boundaries and drink responsibly when playing Drunk UNO (or any drinking game). Make sure all players understand their own limits and respect those limits throughout gameplay. Encourage players to hydrate alongside consuming alcoholic beverages, and monitor everyone’s well-being throughout the session by offering non-alcoholic alternatives if necessary.
In conclusion, Drunk UNO is a fun and exciting twist on the classic card game that adds a new level of excitement and friendly competition. With its simple rules and easy setup, it’s perfect for parties or casual get-togethers with friends.
Just remember to drink responsibly and stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water alongside your favorite beverage. So gather your friends, grab a deck of UNO cards, and let the games begin! Cheers to an unforgettable night filled with laughter, strategy, and lots of sips!