How to Be A Southern Gentleman Posted by: Aaron Stearns | 7 Comments
Listen up, boys. In today’s society, many niceties have been stripped away. But down here in the South, we Southern women still have high expectations. So, if you want to be the perfect Southern Gentleman and impress us, here are some pointers to not only be a Southern Gentleman below the Mason-Dixon, but also if you happen to find yourself above it.
• Always open the door for a lady of any age.
• Insert “Yes, M’am” or “Yes, Sir” in the place of “Yes, yeah, okay, uh-huh, sure,” etc.
• Take off your hat when coming indoors. This includes ballcaps.
• When getting in a car, open the door for the lady first.
• When in church, at a meal, or in a group, continue standing until the women with you have sat first.
• Wait to eat until all of the plates have been set on the table, and the ladies have taken the first bite.
• Don’t ask a lady her age. Ever.
• Say grace before every meal. No exceptions.
Got any more pointers for how to be a Southern Gentleman? Comment below:
By Paula Martin
Paula Martin was born and raised in Arkansas and received her MFA in Creative Writing at the University of New Orleans. She is a writer, teacher, mom, barefoot trail runner, martial artist, and free-thinker always packed and ready for the next adventure.
- Cowhide Crossbody Bag, Black & White with Deep Red Leather - Medium $ 89.00
- Cowhide Rugs - Real Authentic Oversized Genuine Leather Hide $ 189.00
- Reclaimed Bourbon Barrel Top Lazy Susan $ 109.00
- Authentic Brown Brindle Cowhide Leather Overnight Duffle Bag $ 229.00
- "Southerner" Engraved Distressed Wood Cookbook Stand $ 89.00
- Elegant Cross & Heart Faith Necklace $ 39.00
- Waxed Canvas Shoulder Bag w/ Leather Strap $ 49.00