Interested in finding the best air rifle scope? You are not the only one. It is just part of the game. You spend quite a lot of money on an air rifle, so you obviously do not want to be dragged back by a poorly designed scope. Many times, manufacturers focus on more important aspects, but they tend to overlook the scope.
If the scope is not adequate for the accuracy of your rifle, your whole experience will end up suffering. It makes no sense to use a basic scope on a pricey gun. All in all, you have to do your homework in order to come up with a good decision. Make sure you know what to look for when about to make a purchase.
On another note, take your time to research a few products out there. Ideally, you should go with a top-rated product. If it works for hundreds or even thousands of people, chances are it will work for you too. You would rather opt for a reputable company than some unknown name making scopes in the middle of nowhere. Plus, it has to match your rifle.
So, what are the steps to go through in order to make a smart decision?
What to look for when getting a new air rifle scope?
Even an experienced hunter might feel a bit overwhelmed when buying a new scope, yet a little attention to small details will guide you in the right direction.
Fixed or variable
A fixed air rifle scope has a single magnification. It is not adjustable. On the other hand, a variable scope comes with multiple zoom levels for more convenience. While it looks like the fixed scope is the worse decision, it actually has a few major benefits – no need to calibrate it, easy to maintain and install.
Variable scopes provide access to more features and capabilities, but they require more work and regular adjustments. They are more versatile too.
The higher the magnification, the more useful the lens seems. High magnification has a few disadvantages too – hard to aim at a close range and little to no eye relief. Simply put, high magnification makes the scope harder to use. The focal point is finer with the magnification power, so a slight adjustment of your eye will lose the target.
The problem goes away as you practice, but if you are new, it can be extremely frustrating. Practically, bigger does not necessarily mean better.
There are more types of mounting hardware out there. The see-through mount is probably the most helpful one – the scope is elevated above the iron sights. If you have any sights, you can still use them with the scope on.
You gain a bit of extra versatility. Use the iron sights for quickly moving targets or close-range shots. When you need precision over a long distance, move on to the scope.
Levels of magnification
Most scopes start at around 4x and will go up. They are ideal for targets up to 50 yards away. The 6x, 7x and 8x magnification levels are suitable for targets up to 80 yards away. If you are interested in long-distance shooting – over 150 yards away, opt for higher magnification, such as 12x. Choose the magnification based on your hunting style.
The objective lens is the one in front of the scope. It is directly responsible for the overall quality of the scope. This lens lets the light in. If it is large, it will allow more light in, so the result will be brighter. It will also provide sharper details in low light.
While other factors affect the magnification too, the lens is clearly among them – the larger it is, the more efficient the magnification becomes.
It looks like larger is better, but not always. At times, it might be so big that it will affect the mounting hardware, so make sure it can actually fit.
The best air rifle scopes
UTG 3-12X44 30mm Compact Scope – A tactical range scope with extreme precision
UTG’s best air rifle scope is a tactical range scope with a top-notch reticle – 36 color EZ Tap. It comes with a 30-millimeter tube fitted on a true strength platform. It is filled with nitrogen but also sealed. It can easily take rain, fog, and shocks.
The lenses are among the top-rated options in commerce these days. You get multi emerald coated units, as well as an angled front sunshade. On top of all these, the lens caps are easy to open or close with a flipping mechanism.
- Uninterrupted illumination – The illumination is given by a unique housing design and a particular circuit style;
- Full adjustment – The consistent and precise adjustment is provided by the zero locking and resetting target turrets;
- Lightweight – Weighing 658 grams only, the scope will not put any strain on your arms;
- Parallax free view – SWAT AO is responsible for a perfect view from 10 yards to infinity;
- Suitable in all conditions – The scope can take all kinds of weather with no performance loss;
- Great in all light conditions – The 36 color range allows excellent views in all lighting conditions;
- Mil-dot reticle – You get nine different aiming points, regardless of the elevation or windage;
- Full package – The scope comes with multiple accessories in a full package;
- Confusing – If you accidentally pass the color you want, you will have to go through 35 other colors to reach it again;
Who is it For?
UTG 3-12X44 30mm Compact Scope is excellent for those who do not want to spend a lot of money on fancy bells and whistles. Instead, it implements some quality, yet essential features that you can normally find in more expensive products.
CVLIFE 3-9×40 / 3-9x40AO Optics R4 Reticle Crosshair Scope – A complete scope with great value for money
Furthermore, it is worth noting this kind of transmission goes over 300% more of the regular visual light spectrum. What does it mean? The picture is accurate and colorful, just as if you did not even have a scope. Dirt, rain, and fog are successfully kept out of it.
- Easy adjustment – The scope comes with a user-friendly and straightforward adjustment ring – 3x to 9x;
- Precise turrets – Turrets allow a precise adjustment, whether it comes to the windage or elevation;
- Easy mounting – The mount carries the Picatinny quality standards and measures 20 millimeters – 0.79 inches;
- Stable and well structured – The special inner and outer structure styles ensure stable coordination between the inner and outer tubes;
- Solid tube – The scope is built on a strong and durable one inch machined aluminum tube;
- Good light transmission – The light transmission goes up to 90% due to the fully multicoated glass;
- Full package – You also get a lens cover, an Allen key and a couple of mounts;
- Durable – The coating is scratch-resistant and can protect external lenses against dirt and oil too;
- Takes time – You need time, trial and error to become familiar with adjustments fully;
Who is it for?
For the price, you simply cannot go wrong with this scope. It is ideal for both amateurs and slightly experienced shooters who need to up their game a little. The scope also brings in a few premium features.
UTG 4X32 1″ Hunter Scope – The type of scope that will take you from the amateur level to the next stage
While many scopes out there can take various weather conditions, this one will make you feel like you are hunting on a dry, beautiful day. It is also built to last in front of severe conditions like rain, accidental shocks and drops, or fog.
- Quality turrets – Turrets are made to last and can be adjusted with bare fingers only;
- Adjustments – Precise adjustments can be achieved with consistent ¼ MOA per click, not to mention elevation and windage adjustments;
- Sapphire coated lenses – Sapphire coating is excellent for clarity, but also to maximize the light transmission;
- Mil-dot reticle – Aiming has never been easier with the mil-dot reticle feature, which is almost a standard these days;
- Lightweight – The scope only weighs just over 13 ounces;
- Easy to adjust – You do not need any tools to make slight adjustments;
- Crystal clear images – Lenses provide exquisite clarity, regardless of the weather conditions;
- Durable – The true strength platform will face the test of time and can face a good beating;
- Mounts feel week – With a single screw each, the mounting system could have been sturdier;
Who is it for?
This might be the best air rifle scope from UTG if you are after simplicity and value for money. While it does not have any fancy features or lots of small adjustments, it is excellent for most new and intermediary users.
Pinty 3-9X40 Red Green Rangefinder Illuminated Optical Rifle Scope – A mix of fancy and futuristic features that will not let you down
Pinty’s optical rifle scope may be known for more aspects, but one of them stands out in the crowd – the exquisite illumination. You have red and green illuminations, while the brightness level spreads over five stages.
Not only can you adjust the scope for the ultimate clarity levels for your eye, but you also gain lots of adjustabilities. The magnification goes between 3x and 9x, while the solid build and design guarantee for durability.
- Field of view – The field of view is excellent for this price, with 14′-25′ at 100 yards;
- Adjustments – The elevation and windage adjustment allows ¼ MOA 1/4” at 100 yards, as well as 2.7”-3.3” eye relief;
- Reticle – The rangefinder reticle brings in quick results when aiming at various distances;
- Weather performance – The O ring sealing is one of the elements responsible for the fog, water, and rain resistance;
- Versatile – The scope comes with a couple of one-inch scope rings for easy mounting onto multiple mount rails;
- Weather-resistant – Apart from the O ring sealing, the reticle is filled with nitrogen for great weather resistance;
- Lightweight – The scope will not affect your experience or put any strain on your arms;
- Brightness adjustment – There are five levels of brightness adjustment to obtain the perfect clarity;
- No mil-dot – Aiming is a bit more difficult than with other scopes in the same segment;
Who is it for?
Pinty’s scope is inexpensive and has good value for money. While it does have a few good features that can make the difference, it also misses a few essentials. Overall, it makes a good choice for both amateurs and intermediary users.
Beileshi 6-24X50mm AOEG Optics Hunting Rifle Scope – A scope that will put you in the more advanced section
Beileshi might have designed the best air rifle scope in the middle range. It features a bunch of high-end features, but it also has everything you might need at an intermediary level. It is a heavy-duty unit made to last and perform in all kinds of weather conditions.
The scope comes with a great magnification range – 6x to 24x. The objective diameter measures 50 millimeters, while the tube sizing is ideal for these specifications – 25.4 millimeters. There are lots of opinions for adjustabilities too.
- Field of view – The field of view leaves no room for mistakes, with 3.98 to 16.24 meters;
- Adjustability – You can adjust the scope with 0.25 inches at 100 yards;
- Illumination – There are five levels of intensity, not to mention the red or green dot crosshair with an impressive front focus eyepiece adjustment;
- Mounting mechanism – The scope ring can be mounted on 20-millimeter weaver dovetail rails only;
- Accurate and speedy – The front focus eyepiece adjusts to improve your accuracy and speed when shooting;
- Good hand feeling – The hard anodizing multicoated lenses provide a great feeling as you hold the scope;
- Scratch-resistant – Given the coating, the scope can take a good beating without showing any signs of wear or tear and scratches;
- Full package – A lens cover is also included in the package;
- Poorly detailed user manual – With just half a page, the manual of instructions lacks lots of information;
Who is it for?
This scope will not cost you a kidney, but it is certainly above average. It is suitable for those who want to explore a more advanced hunting experience, regardless of their experience level. Given the price and features, value for money is excellent.
Choosing the best air rifle scope depends on more factors, and your current gun is one of them. Not every scope can match every gun, so it is imperative to research your options and count every specification before making a final decision.
The above-mentioned scopes are among the top-rated units in commerce. They are affordable, provide great value for money, and can match lots of different rifles out there. Ensure the scope will also handle your personal needs and expectations throughout your hunting experiences.