The Best Mother Shucker Hand Forged Oyster Knife
Anyone that has ever enjoyed fresh seafood knows all about different utensils that help open up these tricky little shells that come with seafood. The commonly used utensil that opens the shells is going to be the oyster knife. It can not only open oysters, but it can also open clams. The knife has a sharp beveled blade that is used to pry open a tightly closed shell. Most individuals have experienced that one clam or oyster shell that just won’t open. This utensil immensely helps with the process. The blade is used to cut through membranes while pressing through the shell and twisting. This is the perfect way to open your seafood without hurting yourself.
The Best Oyster Knives
When looking for the perfect oyster knife, there are many different ways to choose one that you will like. Of course, you need to think about price and you need to also think about quality. Another fantastic way to determine which oyster knife is going to be perfect for you – read reviews. Most consumers would be amazed at all of the relevant information you can find when you start reading reviews about what other consumers think. Here are some of the best oyster knives that you can find on the market.
The Mother Shucker Oyster Knife is truly one-of-a-kind made in North Carolina. This is a hand forged knife with twisted spikes that is approximately 7.5” long with a 2.5” blade. This amazing knife is sturdy, yet it also has a unique look. Customers love this knife and always leave fantastic reviews. If you are getting ready for a huge seafood feast – this is going to be your go-to knife.
The Oyster Knife by HiCoup is a wonderful knife at an affordable price. This is a premium quality pakka would oyster knife with a full tang blade. This knife also has a bonus sheath that is available. The pakka would handle fits comfortably in the palm of your hand and it also has a great skid free grip. This knife would be great for a gift or a great addition to any household. An added bonus about this knife – there is a lifetime guarantee without any questions asked.
PUT ‘EM BACK Oyster Shucker by Toadfish is an eco-friendly oyster knife. This knife was originally developed by oyster men. The design of this knife was given a modern look at ergonomics. Safety was a major concern, therefore the design was specifically made to open and oyster shell. You can not only shuck steamed oysters, but you can open raw ones as well. The blade has a rust resistant feature with a slight bend on the tip that allows oysters to be popped open.
A 4 PCS Stainless Steel Shucking Knife is a great gift, but it also comes with a few different options. You can purchase for knives or you can purchase to knives with a different combination of gloves. This multi-purposed knife can be used for shucking clams, a shrimp deveiner, a lobster cracker, and also shelling seafood. The quality of this knife is excellent and it also has a strengthened reinforced carbon stainless steel blade that can withstand even the strongest of shells.
How To Shuck an Oyster
Believe it or not, some people do not know how to shuck and oyster. There are a few important steps that will make this process easier and safer. An oyster knife not used properly can seriously injure a person.
- The first step is to always use life oysters that are ice cold. You never want to use a frozen oyster, because you cannot check the condition of the oyster. When you are getting ready to open an oyster, you need to be sure that the oyster has a fresh see smell.
- The next step is to make sure you have all of your utensils together. Oyster knives may seem like they are not that sharp, but you can actually get a serious injury. You want to be sure that you have gloves ready and you also want to be sure that you have a stiff bristle brush. Adding towels and ice is also recommended, because you need to have a place to put your oysters once you are done shucking them.
- Start by running cold water to remove any sand from the oyster. This is when it is a good time to use your stiff bristle brush, because you will be able to get the oyster clean. You then want to get a firm grip on the top of the oyster shell with your hand. You want to identify the end that has an opening.
- The next part is going to be inserting your oyster knife into the small opening or the hinge. You will be able to work the oyster knife in further. This is the perfect time to begin twisting the knife to open the shell. You will be able to slowly move your knife all around the shell gently twisting.
- You will need to identify the oyster muscle inside. At this point you can use your knife to slowly remove it. Also, you need to separate the shell haves. A careful to not spill any of the oyster juice. This is the perfect time to separate the shells and began getting the rest of the oyster.
Shucking oysters is a learning process, but with some practice it can be done. After you get used to the steps of shucking and oyster, you will be able to move faster and get more used to using an oyster knife. Having a quality oyster knife is crucial, because you need to have a strong enough knife for those stubborn oyster shells or other seafood shells that do not want to be opened. Who wants to fight with a knife to eat fresh seafood? Get the right high quality oyster knife and enjoy many meals to come.