Bourbon Makes It Better: Bite Sized Chocolate Bourbon Pies Posted by: Aaron Stearns | 0 Comments
The final course of Thanksgiving shouldn’t be left to your grocery store bakery. Recipes worth passing down are created when mixing pie filling in the ninth hour. Dessert is the last representative of your meal, often had more than times than other courses. Whether you’re a pecan, sweet potato or pumpkin family, one secret ingredient can take dessert to the next level: bourbon. The earthy spiciness of your favorite bourbon balances out the syrupy sweet dishes, adding a level of complexity to each bite. Adding liquor to baked goods isn’t new to most Southern chefs, but run-of-the-mill rum cake’s got nothing on classic fall flavors prepared with a generous helping of bourbon. This is a sweet lesson learned by Cassie of food blog Back To Her Roots. Her Kentucky-inspired mini Derby Pies feature walnuts, chocolate and of course, bourbon. As a bonus, Cassie makes these tiny treats with fewer of the processed ingredients that it usually has, so get ready for some guilt-free eating.
What You’ll Need
For the crust:
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup white flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 stick vegan margarine, cut into small cubes and frozen
4-5 tablespoons ice cold water
For the filling:
2 tablespoons bourbon
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup honey, agave or maple syrup
2 flax eggs
1/2 cup melted vegan margarine
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
1 teaspoon vanilla
Pinch of salt
What To Do
- To make crust, in the bowl of a food processor, add flours, sugar and salt. Pulse to combine. Add in frozen margarine pieces and pulse until pieces are about the size of peas. Add in water, one tablespoon at a time, until dough holds together when squeezed. Dump dough out onto a floured surface and form into two discs. Wrap in plastic wrap and stash in fridge for at least an hour to chill.
- When ready to make pies, preheat oven to 350°. Remove one dough disc from the fridge and roll out on a floured surface until about 1/8 inch thick. Using a circle pastry cutter or glass, cut circles out of the dough. Line the cups of a non-stick mini muffin tin with the dough circles.
- For the filling, combine all ingredients in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Spoon about a tablespoon of the filling into each muffin cup. Bake in the preheated oven for 18-20 minutes or until filling has solidified. Let cool for 5 minutes then remove from muffin tin and cool completely on racks. Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- Cowhide Crossbody Bag, Black & White with Deep Red Leather - Medium $ 89.00
- Cowhide Rugs - Real Authentic Oversized Genuine Leather Hide $ 189.00
- Reclaimed Bourbon Barrel Top Lazy Susan $ 109.00
- Authentic Brown Brindle Cowhide Leather Overnight Duffle Bag $ 229.00
- "Southerner" Engraved Distressed Wood Cookbook Stand $ 89.00
- Elegant Cross & Heart Faith Necklace $ 39.00
- Waxed Canvas Shoulder Bag w/ Leather Strap $ 40.00