Have Your Cake And Eat It Too Posted by: Aaron Stearns | 0 Comments
I grew up in a family of female cooks, at least on my dad’s side. From my grandmother to my aunts to my cousins, the women all loved to plan, shop, and sweat over a hot stove, creating whole meals from scratch. As a skinned-knee treeclimber, it was apparent early on that I did not get that gene. But that didn’t keep me from being amazed at their confidence and skill, especially when making cakes.
From the stool in my grandmother’s kitchen I would marvel at their grace as they cracked and separated brown eggs with one hand, lightly dropping the eggshells into the sink without spilling a drop. I would watch entranced as they tossed in a pinch of salt, tapped in a few drops of vanilla, gently glided a finger into creamy batter and knew exactly what to add. It was like watching a ballet, the women twirling around each other on the parquet floor, wooden spoon stirring and stirring, oven door opening and closing.
When the smell of cake would start filling the kitchen, I would have to sit on my hands to keep from opening the oven. After what felt like hours the cake would be brought out, cooled, and then usually iced, depending on what they had made.
My role in all of this? Official taster. I figured that was the best job a tomboy like me could have hoped for.
And you know what? Even after all these years, I still think it was the best job of all.
By Paula Martin
Paula Martin was born and raised in Arkansas and received her MFA in Creative Writing at the University of New Orleans. She is a writer, teacher, mom, barefoot trail runner, martial artist, and free-thinker always packed and ready for the next adventure.
- Cowhide Crossbody Bag, Black & White with Deep Red Leather - Medium $ 89.00
- Cowhide Rugs - Real Authentic Oversized Genuine Leather Hide $ 189.00
- Reclaimed Bourbon Barrel Top Lazy Susan $ 109.00
- Authentic Brown Brindle Cowhide Leather Overnight Duffle Bag $ 229.00
- "Southerner" Engraved Distressed Wood Cookbook Stand $ 89.00
- Elegant Cross & Heart Faith Necklace $ 39.00
- Waxed Canvas Shoulder Bag w/ Leather Strap $ 49.00