Homeward Bound-The Adventures of Moose Posted by: Aaron Stearns | 0 Comments
Moose was a mutt. He looked like he had some Black Lab, maybe some German Shepherd, with perhaps some Irish Setter thrown in. One thing for sure, though, was that he was big. Really big. And about as goofy as they come.
The first time he got out the back fence he was gone for two weeks. We looked everywhere for him, Mom driving the station wagon around the neighborhood while I hung out the window calling his name. I even made signs and put them up on the telephone poles. But no one called. I cried every night the first week. After that, the crying stopped, and even though I kept calling his name every time I walked down the street to the park, I just knew I would never see him again.
Boy, was I wrong. At the end of the second week, I got up early before everyone else and opened the backdoor to let the cat in. And there, sitting on the back steps, inside the fence, was a very disheveled, but very happy, Moose.
After that, we had no other choice but to get used to the pattern. Once a year Moose would get out, be gone for two-three weeks, and then show back up, matted, sometimes beat up, but always happy, as if he went on a wild adventure and made it back alive.
And you know what? I think that’s exactly what he did.
By Paula Martin
Paula Martin was born and raised in Arkansas and received her MFA in Creative Writing at the University of New Orleans. She is a writer, teacher, mom, barefoot trail runner, martial artist, and free-thinker always packed and ready for the next adventure.
- Cowhide Crossbody Bag, Black & White with Deep Red Leather - Medium $ 89.00
- Cowhide Rugs - Real Authentic Oversized Genuine Leather Hide $ 220.00
- Reclaimed Bourbon Barrel Top Lazy Susan $ 109.00
- Authentic Brown Brindle Cowhide Leather Overnight Duffle Bag $ 229.00
- "Southerner" Engraved Distressed Wood Cookbook Stand $ 89.00
- Elegant Cross & Heart Faith Necklace $ 39.00
- Waxed Canvas Shoulder Bag w/ Leather Strap $ 49.00