What I Learned In Momma's Kitchen Posted by: Aaron Stearns | 0 Comments
Momma's kitchen was my favorite room when I was growing up. From watching homemade biscuits rise on Saturday morning to whisking egg whites on Good Friday for Easter Sunday's Lemon Meringue Pie, I must have spent over half of my life on our green metal stepstool in the corner. It amazed me how Momma could cook like she was dancing, her feet gliding across the parquet floor in perfect timing, handing me a brown paper sack to shake chicken in while she tossed a pinch of salt into the beans on the stove. And when her sister would come over, which was at least twice a week, it was like Momma times two. Over the years I learned all kinds of things, like how to make a roux, stuff quail, glaze carrots, fry okra. But the most important things I learned had nothing to do with food. Instead, they had to do with following a faded handwritten recipe word-for-word every Christmas, watching how sisters looked at each other when the other wasn't noticing, listening to stories passed around like bread. And how love, like food, is meant to be shared.
What did you learn from moments shared with your Momma in the kitchen? Tell us below in the comments. We'd love to hear from you!
Shopping Boubon & Boots Online Gift Store:
Our Southern Lifestyle Brand is your online gift store for made in the south personalized gifts, gift ideas for men, and gift ideas for women. Our southern gifts inventory of unique gifts and unusual gifts ensure a rare & unique selection of personal gifts sure to delight you and your recipient. Visit our Southern Gifts store at www.bourbonandboots.com
- Whiskey Lovers Engraved Personalized Whiskey Glasses $ 45.00
- Authentic Large (6' x 7') Cowhide Rug $ 198.00
- Reclaimed Barrel Top Wooden Lazy Susan $ 139.00
- Authentic Brown Brindle Cowhide Leather Overnight Duffle Bag $ 229.00
- Handmade Bourbon Barrel Wood Serving Tray With Rustic Iron Handles $ 109.00
- Silver Cross & Gold Cross Heart Christian Necklaces $ 39.00
- Waxed Canvas Shoulder Bag w/ Leather Strap $ 49.00